Celtic come out on top at Alpine

Celtic earned the bragging rights after winning both Senior and Senior B matches against Waimate at Alpine Energy No 2 in the weekend.

The B’s lost 55 – 0, a big come down after winning the previous three on the trot. They will be disappointed after only losing by 10 points in the first round, so will need to get back on the horse against Geraldine next weekend.

Senior Report

Celtic had the wheels on Waimate in the first half as the country side struggled to get any good ball.

The defending champions used the width of the field and scored two good tries out wide to fullback Tevita Latu while wing Jarred Mannix finished off some great work from centre Patolo Tupuola.

The best, however, came from an audacious kick from halfback Sekope Maea.

With his back to the try line on the 22, he chip-kicked over his head from the base of the scrum and the bounce favoured a chasing Tanu Suavine.

Such is the playmaking skills of Maea he would be wasted on the wing for South Canterbury, where there are better finishers.

Down 22-3 at halftime, Waimate played much more attractive rugby in the second half and were rewarded.

Front rower Peter Lyttle burrowed over a good try as the heat went on Celtic and they followed that up while Simon Proudfoot, one of Waimate’s best, bust open the Celtic defence.

With 20 minutes left, Waimate had a sniff but Celtic regrouped with a try to replacement wing Tom McGeever to shut the door on the country side.

For Waimate, veteran eight Blair Morris was a workhorse and lock Scott Buckingham played well while Proudfoot’s mid-field partner Jared Matthews had some good busts.

Maea was class with crisp passes that set his backline alight, with Tupuola another to shine especially in the first half.

U18 Report vs Mackenzie

The Waimate Under 18 boys hosted a tough Mackenzie side on Saturday, the game expected to be one of the best this season. The weather was perfect and at one o’clock the highly anticipated game kicked off.

Both country teams from the get-go proving to be physical, the tackling hard and numbers being thrown into the breakdown. With both teams eager to score first the minutes ticked by quickly, this was not going to be a pushover for either team. It was the home boys who struck first, after first-five Bryce Shearer smartly clipped the ball into the corner of the field, an opportunity arose just five meters from the Mackenzie line. The away side failing to collect their own ball successfully and Waimate captain Tim Caird striking first, unfortunately Scott Willoughby’s conversion attempt just pulling wide.

The game continued to flow, both sides finding themselves with large amounts of possession but both sides held firm with structured defenses. After quarter of an hour a Mackenzie breakdown infringement presented Waimate with an opportunity to pull further ahead. Scott Willoughby slotting home nicely. Mackenzie were behind by eight but refused to let the home side pull away and begin to control the game, eight points was definitely within striking distance. All of the supporters were drawn to the edge of their seats as the Mackenzie boys capitalized on some mediocre defence. A perfect conversion from the Mackenzie fullback made the match only a one point ball game.

It only took a couple more minutes before Waimate retaliated with another penalty. Scott Willoughby again slotting home. Although the Waimate boys were once again four points ahead they would soon find themselves behind, for the first time this season. Another try from the Mackenzie winger produced a one point away side lead, the failed conversion attempt left the game at 11-12 at halftime. A tight scoreline but a fair reflection on the game.

The second half would be a nail biter, this was anyone’s game.

The second half started and Waimate fought hard for territory and sat in the opposition half pushing for much needed points. Yet another penalty was provided, the home side’s forward pack again pressuring Mackenzie into mistakes and once again Scott Willoughby stepped up and slotted home what would prove to be a decisive three pointer.

Most of the second half was played in Mackenzie territory. The Waimate boys camped down in the right end of the field, unfortunately unable to score. Handling errors and missed opportunities kept the Mackenzie side well within striking distance. Mackenzie’s stern defence holding them in the game. Late on, the final minutes ticked by and the away boys broke into the attacking part of the field. Putting the Waimate boys under pressure and looking to snatch the win away. A penalty was awarded, thirty meters away, kickable. Instead of choosing to kick at goal with four minutes remaining the captain of the away boys decided to kick for the corner looking to score a try from the following line-out. The ball being regained by the home side and cleared away.

After a nervy last few minutes the game ended, finishing 14-12 to Waimate. A well earned, well deserved result. Mackenzie were left to rue their missed opportunity.

Rainbow Dairy’s man of the match was Waimate centre Sam Walton, playing a fantastic game. His solid defence key in the victory. Thankyou to all of the supporter who came down to watch. Waimate play Harlequins next weekend, hope to see you there.

 U16 v TBHS Report

Waimate U16 rugby team played away to TBHS Blue on Saturday. As has been the norm this season the Waimate boys were slow to start and found themselves defending their line for extended periods but started to work their way into the game in the latter part of the first half. The revised backline was looking dangerous on attack but relied heavily on the forwards to shore up some shaky defence and poor decision making.

Whatever was in the half-time oranges seemed to do the trick because the blue ‘n’ reds came out firing with the forwards in dominant form and the backs capitalising on the resulting possession. The final score of 37-5 to Waimate fairly reflected the honest endeavour of both teams. Impressive efforts by hooker Myles White and winger Lachie Hamilton were worthy of note.

U14.5 v TBHS Panthers

The boys came up against the strong TBHS Panthers side this week and were unable to get any points on the scoreboard losing 68 – 0 so will be looking forward to this weekend’s bye as a chance to regroup.

A couple of match shots below from the Celtic matches, and you can see over 90  photos from both matches on our Facebook page