Harlequins had too much Fijian firepower out wide for Waimate

Waimate leading players

At Alpine Energy Stadium Harlequins had too much Fijian firepower out wide for the Waimate Seniors but could not quite shake them off eventually winning 40 – 20.

Waimate wing Will Saula landed an early penalty but Harlequins replied with three first half tries to lead 19-3 at the break.

Harlequins second five Vatilia Tora was a key figure, slicing through some poor defence to score, and then making a break that right wing Leone Nawalu finished off, as well as adding both conversions.

On the stroke of halftime left wing Maile I’Ongi scored after a good run from himself and lock Joseteki Veikune.

The second half proved a much more entertaining spectacle.

Waimate blind side Stefan van Leeuwen scored early after the ball went through several sets of hands, to close the gap to 19-8.

Unfortunately less than a minute later the Waimate defence was found wanting when fullback Sireli Buliruarua stepped his way through and Tora added the  conversion.

Tora was in the action again five minutes later when he broke free to score, and his conversion put Harlequins out to an unassailable 33-8 lead.

Waimate however showed plenty of spirit to press again and van Leeuwen grabbed his second try.

Harlequins were however willing to throw the ball around and I’Ongi grabbed his second before Waimate had the final say with a try to openside Tim Caird.

For Harlequins it was hard to go past Tora as man of the match as his set the backline alight while veteran I’Ongi also impressed.

Front rowers Nathan Tubb and Timaru Tafa had strong games while No.8 Kamal Tackney and Veikune also played well.

The Waimate pack also tried hard with Toko Fakatava and Simon Bleeker carrying the ball well, while Irish No.8 Stephen Smith never gave it away.

Van Leeuwen also put in an honest 80 minutes while in the backs second five Mile Medlicott was tidy and wing Jade Halkett ran hard with limited opportunities.

Final Score Waimate 20 lost to Harlequins 40.

Read full report in Timaru Herald

Senior B

The Senior B’s were again undone in the final minutes of the game when not able to maintain possession and close out the match. Leading 40 – 38 they conceded a try after turning the ball over near the Harlequins 22 and Harlies managed to finish the next plays without error as Waimate almost held on, but finally lost 40 – 42.

A great game (bar the result) and keeps this competition well and truly alive.